Around this day last year, I was sitting on my kitchen floor (as I am weirdly prone to doing, don’t judge me) when I had the sudden idea to start a book club. I am the queen of starting projects and abandoning them, but with the help, ideas, and encouragement from many of you, Rather Be Reading was born. I stepped so far out of my comfort zone by creating this, and each and every one of you has made it a worthwhile and exciting journey.
After copious discussion about where it should be hosted, when it should happen, and other logistical questions, our first poll was put up on July 20th. We met for the first time on August third to talk about the first half of The Fifth Season. Lots of firsts, apparently.
Since beginning, we have read 16 different books (including the current) and met some number of times that I am too lazy to calculate. You have stuck with me as I’ve changed meeting days, times, and locations on multiple occasions in the search for the best fit.
I would like to extend my gratitude to every single one of you, whether you have attended one meeting or every meeting since the start. I’ve said it before, but we would not be where we are if it weren’t for your guys’ dedication and interest. It continues to amaze me to see how many of you show up to talk about books together. Thank you for helping me to start this and for helping to keep it alive.
Favorite Book Poll
Below is a poll containing every book we have read. Regardless of how many of our books you have read with us, you are invited to select your favorite! I am excited to see what you guys loved and disliked.
Below that is a form where you can put in any comments you have for how your experience has been so far. You don’t have to put anything there, but if you have any comments, concerns, hopes, or questions, you are welcome to share. I am always interested in knowing what you think of the club and if there’s something you wish were different. It is anonymous, so feel free to be as honest as you like. 😊
What was your favorite book that we read?
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (45%, 5 Votes)
- The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin (27%, 3 Votes)
- The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow (9%, 1 Votes)
- The Rook by Daniel O’Malley (9%, 1 Votes)
- The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin (9%, 1 Votes)
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (0%, 0 Votes)
- A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin (0%, 0 Votes)
- Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions by Neil Gaiman (0%, 0 Votes)
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (0%, 0 Votes)
- Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson (0%, 0 Votes)
- Surface Detail (Culture #9) by Iain M. Banks (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Survival Quest (Way of the Shaman #1) by Vasily Mahanenko (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (0%, 0 Votes)
- Sinister Magic by Lindsay Buroker (0%, 0 Votes)
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 11